Sunday, March 29, 2009

Series : Investing in a joyfull life in spite of a global economic downturn

Part 3 - Checking Your Attitude (Philippians 2:1-18)

Rev Ricky Ho

*Attitude in line with Christ Jesus
*Attitude more important than appearance, skills
*Attitude can break a church/home
*Attitude cannot change the past

Life is 10% what happens to be & 90% how I react

Key attitude -humility
wrong false perception on humility

1. What does it mean in the bible?
Philippians 2:3-4 Don't do anything from selfish ambition or from a cheap desire to boast, but be humble towards one another, always considering others better than yourselves. And look out for one another's interests, not just for your own.

*consider others better than yourself
*If you want to be great, you gotto put yourself last
*Do give ways to others rather than ourselves

In the economic situation = stress
One true humility is through Jesus Christ

2. Philippians 2:5-6 The attitude you should have is the one that Christ Jesus had : He always had the nature of God, but he did not think that by force he should try to become equal with God.
*Be unconcern about your personal decision
*The word "grasped" (v6) brings the idea that it was not something to be seized
*Many great congregations have suffered from people with divisive attitudes
*The Lord has placed each of us in his body to be lovingly
*Minor disagreements often escalate into huge differences that could easily have been overlooked for the greater good.

3. Make Yourself A Servant
*Now can there be joy in making yourself a servant?
*Now can it be that if you want to be joyfull,it is somehow bound up in choosing to be a servant to those around you?
*Attitude should be that of the good samaritan
*It should be that of giving

4. Obey even it is inconvenient
Philippians 2:8-18 He was humble and walked the path of obedience all the way to death- his death on the cross. For this reason God raised him to the highest place above and gave him the name that is greater that any other name. And so, in honour of the name of Jesus all beings in heaven, on earth, and in the world below will fall on their knees, and all will openly proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. So then, dear friends, as you always obeyed me when I was with you, it is eve more important that you obey me now while I am away from you. Keep on working with fear and trembling to complete your salvation, because God is always at work in you to make you willing and able to obey his own purpose. Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may be innocent and pure as God's perfect children, who live in a world of corrupt and sinful people. You must shine amopng them like stars lighting up the sky, as you offer them the message of life. If you do so, I shall have reason to be proud of you on the Day of Christ, because it will show that all my effort and work have not been wasted. Perhaps my life's blood is to be poured out like an offering on the sacrifice that your faith offers to God. If that is so, I am glad and share my joy with you all. In the same way, you too must be glad and share your joy with me.


*How far does my obedience go?
*Am I willing to obey the word of God if it means someone might not understand
*Am I willing to obey the word of God even if I don't really like what it has to say?

Philippians 2:12-13 So then, dear friends, as you always obeyed me when I was with you, it is eve more important that you obey me now while I am away from you. Keep on working with fear and trembling to complete your salvation, because God is always at work in you to make you willing and able to obey his own purpose

Work hard & Change the way of thinking (Let God change your will)
*How can you develop humility?
we must earn our salvations..it is to do with sanctification rather than justification
*In other words, we must do our part
*The world is full of ppl clamoring for attention, honor and prestige.






**Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path**

No comments:

Post a Comment