Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Passion for the Lost

Steven Ooi

Matthew 9:35-38
I came to set sons against their fathers, daughters against their mothers, daughters-in-law against their mothers-in-law; a man's worst enemies will be the members of his own family.
"Whoever loves his father or mother more than me is not fit to be my disciple; whoever loves his son or daughter more than me is not fit to be my disciple.
*description of compassionate love of Jesus

15/11/09

Matthew 16:27
For the Son of Man is about to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will reward each one accordingto his deeds.

The Battle of God and Satan

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have eternal life.

God has a passion for the souls of men and women
What is life without compassion if you cannot love and care

1. A Single Passion
*life of Jesus illustrate as single passion

Luke 19:10 "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost"
Peter and Andrew had a single passion

He said "Get behind me Jesus"

1 Corinthians 9:16
I have no right to boast just because I preach the gospel. After all, I am under orders to do so. And how terrible it would be for me if I did not preach the gospel!

Philippians 3:13,14 illustrates Paul had a single passion
Of course, my brothers, I really do not think that I have already won it; the one thing I do, however, is to forget what is behind me and do my best to reach what is ahead. So I run straight towards the goal in order to win the prize, which is God's call through Christ Jesus to the life above.

Romans 9:2,3 - the extend of his passion
when I say how great is my sorrow, how endless the pain in my heart for my people, my own flesh and blood! For their sake I could wish that I myself were under God's curse and separated from Christ.

2. We need a heart passion
*Abraham had a heart passion
Genesis 18:23,24
Abraham appraoched the Lord and asked,"Are you really going to destroy the innocent people in the city, will you destroy the whole city? Won't you spare it in order to save the fifty?

*Moses had a heart passion
Exodus 32:31,32
Moses then returned to the Lord and said, "These people have committed a terrible sin. They have made a god out of gold and worshipped it, Please forgive their sin; but if you won't, then remove my name from the book in which you have written the names of your people."

*Our Lord Jesus had a heart passion
Matthew 23:37
"Jerusalem, Jerusalem! You kill the prophets and stone the messengers God has sent you! How many times have I wanted to put my arms round all your people, just as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you ould not let me!


What if, we obey our parents only because we are scared to make them unhappy? is that love?
What if, we obey and trust God only because he is the ALMIGHTY and we are used to believe in him? is that love?



**Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path**

No comments:

Post a Comment