Monday, December 14, 2009

Baptised into One Body

Rev Ho Chee Sin

Matthew 3:11-13 I baptize you with water to show that you have repented, but the one who will come after me will baptize youwith the Holy Spirit and fire. He is much greater than I am; and I am not good enough even to carry his sandals. He has his winnowing shovel with him to thresh out all the grain. He will gather his wheat into his barn, but he will burn the chaff in a fire that never goes out.

1 Corinthians 12:12-13 Christ is like a single body, which has many parts; it is still one body, even though it is made up of different parts. In the same way, all of us, whether Jews or Gentiles, whether slaves or free, have been baptized into the one body by the same Spirit, and we have all been given the one Spirit to drink.

13/12/2009

*Word dwelled tabernacle (tent)=temporary
*Mystery in New Testament - reveal secrets of God's Word
*Christmas story reveals God's secret to us
*God and humanity unite
*Jesus, Word of God became flesh
*4 gospels record the baptism of Jesus
*wanted to identify with us
*marks different from symbolic and real baptism
*baptism- communicate through signs and symbols
*RIT of baptism = baptism of Holy Spirit
*John talking about 2 baptism
*Holy Spirit took on the day of pentecost
*fire- judgement of God
*sending of father = waiting of Holy Sprit - day of pentecost - promised was fulfilled

Acts 1:4-5 And when they came together, he gave them this order : "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift I told you about, the gift my Father promised. John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Sprit."

*baptism= form the (body of Christ)
*put individuals in the body of Christ
All (Jesus and Gentiles, Slaves and Freeman) - made to drink one Spirit

John 16:15 All that my Father has is mine; that is why I said that the Spirit will take what I give him and tell it to you.

*not intellectual treat but warmth and fellowship that makes us Christians
*Work of the Holy Spirit
*You and Me (Christ) and I (Christ) in You- St Paul
*seen fulfilled in Holy Spirit puts us in Christ
*part of him - made to drink in 1 Spirit
*given gifts by the same spirit
*change the world by the love of Christ

**Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path**

No comments:

Post a Comment