Monday, April 6, 2009

Sermon : "How To Overcome The 7 Deadly Sins-Pride"

Rev Ricky Ho



*Self examination- know yourself

*7 deadly sins lead to spiritual death - What we don't relise if we die.

*Pride, greed, envy, wrath, lust, gluttony, sloth

*donkey was a symbol of humility

*humility are the opposite end of pride

*Pride - "an unduly high opinion of oneself".

*Pride and vanity are competitive

*Pride and vanity refuse the truth about who we really are and

*Pride and vanity substitude illusions for reality



Proverbs 6-16-19 There are seven things that the Lord hates and cannot tolerate :

A proud look,

A lying tongue,

hands that kill innocent people,

a mind that thinks up wicked plans,

feet that hurry off to do evil,

a witness who tells one lie after another,

and a man who stirs up trouble among friends.



*The writer of proverbs puts pride ahead of murder

*God hates the sin of pride-calls it evil

*Pride promotes self-sufficiency rather than God-sufficiency

*Pride means " I don't need anybody else even God"

Pride -argumentative,lying and cheating all is the mother of all sins

*Another reason God feels so strongly about is because it has the capability of destroying our lives.

*Pride is a ticking time- born often without even us realising it

*Even if you would completely overcome it, you will still be proud of your own humility

*Pride Driven or Christ Driven?

*Best lesson learned would be none other than the Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector

Luke 18-9-14 Jesus also told this parable to people who were sure of their own goodness and despised everybody else. " Once there were two men who went up to the Temple to pray: one was a Pharisee, the other a tax collector.



The Pharisee stood apart by himself and prayed, ' I thank you, God, that I am not greedy, dishonest, or an adulterer, like everybody else. I thank you that I am not like that tax collector over there. I fast two days a week, and I give you a tenth of all my income.'



But the tax collector stood at a distance and would not even raise his face to heaven, but beat on his breast and said, ' God, have pity on me, a sinner!' I tell you," said Jesus, " the tax collector , and not the Pharisee, was in the right with God when he went home. For everyone who makes himself great will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be made great."



1. The Root of Pride

*Self-righteous

Ephesians 2:8-9 For it is by God's grace that you have been saved through faith. It is not the result of your own efforts, but God's gift, so that no one can boast about it.

*Satan did not overcome pride. Him, being top of the angels wasn't enough. He wanted to be better than GOD

Ezekial 28:12-19 "Mortal man," he said, " grieve for the fate that is waiting for the king of Tyre. Tell him what I, Sovereign Lord, am saying: You were once an example of perfection. How wise and handsome you were! You lived in Eden, the garden of God, and wore gems of every kind: rubies and diamonds; topaz; beryl, carnelian, and jasper; sapphires, emeralds, and garnets. You had ornaments of gold. They were made for you on the day you were created. I put a terrifying angel there to guard you. You lived on my holy mountain and walked among sparkling gems. Your conduct was perfect from the day you were created until you began to do evil. You were busy buying and selling, and this led you to violence and sin. So I forced you to leave my holy mountain, and the angel who guarded you drove you away from the sparkling gems. You were proud of being handsome, and your fame made you act like a fool. Because of this, I hurled you to the ground and left you as a warning to other kings. You did such evil in buying and selling that your places of worship were corrupted. So I set fire to the city and burnt it to the ground. All who look at you now see you reduced to ashes. You are gone, gone for ever, and all the nations that had come to know you are terrified, afraid that they will share your fate."

* Self-sufficient
My faith is in myself. I have never failed me.

*Self-centered
Worship of me, myself and I. Forget the needs of others or the love of God.


Positive pride-comparison
Positive pride endeavoring become who God created you to be by maximising your potential
Poison/negative pride is minding other ppl's business for yourself
The Point of Comparison
*attempting to maximize yourself by comparing what you have with others
Negative pride is DESTRUCTION
Deceptive & Deceitful
Develish & Demonic
But all in all,we Need to give your best to God

2. The reality of pride-afraid to loose job and $
but when it comes to ministry, we give less to God


3. The Remedy Of Pride

How can we deal with pride?

*Be grateful to anyone & everyone - food, treat others how you want to be treated

*Beg forgiveness of God for the sin of Pride

*Ask God for a spirit of humility and gratitude (Philippians 2:3-11)

Go to the Lord in prayer & fasting

The older you are, the greater the challenge of PRIDE is

Conclusion

*All of us can be sure of-certainty of death

*1st step for repentance.




**Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path**

No comments:

Post a Comment