Wednesday, April 25, 2012

How to argue with God

22nd April 2012

*There are shocking things in life
*Jesus has done something like that that we rationalize it and not believe in it
*Ask and you will recieve
*Seek and you shall fine
*Knock and the door will be open for you
*We think Jesus didn't mean it literally
*Asking
- answered prayer
- we might ask selfish prayers
- we should ask actively
- we should confess sin
*Sometimes we hinder our prayer
*We should seek God's kingdom
*Answered prayer is more like a relationship
*Like any relationship, everyone has a role to play
*Certain elements make a great date
*It is the same through prayer
*It is NOT A FORMULA but like a kit
*We WILL receive because that is the promise
*Psalm 44: 1-26: 1 We have heard it with our ears, O God;
   our ancestors have told us
what you did in their days,
   in days long ago.
2 With your hand you drove out the nations
   and planted our ancestors;
you crushed the peoples
   and made our ancestors flourish.
3 It was not by their sword that they won the land,
   nor did their arm bring them victory;
it was your right hand, your arm,
   and the light of your face, for you loved them.
 4 You are my King and my God,
   who decrees victories for Jacob.
5 Through you we push back our enemies;
   through your name we trample our foes.
6 I put no trust in my bow,
   my sword does not bring me victory;
7 but you give us victory over our enemies,
   you put our adversaries to shame.
8 In God we make our boast all day long,
   and we will praise your name forever.
 9 But now you have rejected and humbled us;
   you no longer go out with our armies.
10 You made us retreat before the enemy,
   and our adversaries have plundered us.
11 You gave us up to be devoured like sheep
   and have scattered us among the nations.
12 You sold your people for a pittance,
   gaining nothing from their sale.
 13 You have made us a reproach to our neighbors,
   the scorn and derision of those around us.
14 You have made us a byword among the nations;
   the peoples shake their heads at us.
15 I live in disgrace all day long,
   and my face is covered with shame
16 at the taunts of those who reproach and revile me,
   because of the enemy, who is bent on revenge.
 17 All this came upon us,
   though we had not forgotten you;
   we had not been false to your covenant.
18 Our hearts had not turned back;
   our feet had not strayed from your path.
19 But you crushed us and made us a haunt for jackals;
   you covered us over with deep darkness.
 20 If we had forgotten the name of our God
   or spread out our hands to a foreign god,
21 would not God have discovered it,
   since he knows the secrets of the heart?
22 Yet for your sake we face death all day long;
   we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.
 23 Awake, Lord! Why do you sleep?
   Rouse yourself! Do not reject us forever.
24 Why do you hide your face
   and forget our misery and oppression?
 25 We are brought down to the dust;
   our bodies cling to the ground.
26 Rise up and help us;
   rescue us because of your unfailing love.

*We have heard with our ears= acted on their behalf
*Psalmist is talking about the past he has not gone through
*God does not need a psalmist to remind him what He did in the past
*Psalmist begins to talk about God in the present
*The Psalmist begins to turn to God
*Psalmist being open, brutally honest to God

*Psalm 22: 1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
   Why are you so far from saving me,
   so far from my cries of anguish?
2 My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
   by night, but I find no rest.
 3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One;
   you are the one Israel praises.
4 In you our ancestors put their trust;
   they trusted and you delivered them.
5 To you they cried out and were saved;
   in you they trusted and were not put to shame.
 6 But I am a worm and not a man,
   scorned by everyone, despised by the people.
7 All who see me mock me;
   they hurl insults, shaking their heads.
8 “He trusts in the LORD,” they say,
   “let the LORD rescue him.
Let him deliver him,
   since he delights in him.”
 9 Yet you brought me out of the womb;
   you made me trust in you, even at my mother’s breast.
10 From birth I was cast on you;
   from my mother’s womb you have been my God.
 11 Do not be far from me,
   for trouble is near
   and there is no one to help.
 12 Many bulls surround me;
   strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.
13 Roaring lions that tear their prey
   open their mouths wide against me.
14 I am poured out like water,
   and all my bones are out of joint.
My heart has turned to wax;
   it has melted within me.
15 My mouth is dried up like a potsherd,
   and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;
   you lay me in the dust of death.
 16 Dogs surround me,
   a pack of villains encircles me;
   they pierce my hands and my feet.
17 All my bones are on display;
   people stare and gloat over me.
18 They divide my clothes among them
   and cast lots for my garment.
 19 But you, LORD, do not be far from me.
   You are my strength; come quickly to help me.
20 Deliver me from the sword,
   my precious life from the power of the dogs.
21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions;
   save me from the horns of the wild oxen.
 22 I will declare your name to my people;
   in the assembly I will praise you.
23 You who fear the LORD, praise him!
   All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!
   Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!
24 For he has not despised or scorned
   the suffering of the afflicted one;
he has not hidden his face from him
   but has listened to his cry for help.
 25 From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly;
   before those who fear you I will fulfill my vows.
26 The poor will eat and be satisfied;
   those who seek the LORD will praise him—
   may your hearts live forever!
 27 All the ends of the earth
   will remember and turn to the LORD,
and all the families of the nations
   will bow down before him,
28 for dominion belongs to the LORD
   and he rules over the nations.
 29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship;
   all who go down to the dust will kneel before him—
   those who cannot keep themselves alive.
30 Posterity will serve him;
   future generations will be told about the Lord.
31 They will proclaim his righteousness,
   declaring to a people yet unborn:
   He has done it!

*My God , my god why have you forsaken me?
*People have been brutally honest before God
*Why didn't the Psalmist just come before God but wrote a whole passage about it?
*The missing element in prayer is that we need to create an argument before God
*It is different from how we are suppose to be all good and holy
*Genesis 18:23-26- About Abraham, Sodom and Gomorrah

23 Then Abraham approached him and said: “Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? 24 What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare[a] the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? 25 Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?”
 26 The LORD said, “If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake.”

*Abraham is presenting a case- and gets aggresive
*Exodus 32:9-14: 9 “I have seen these people,” the LORD said to Moses, “and they are a stiff-necked people. 10 Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation.”
 11 But Moses sought the favor of the LORD his God. “LORD,” he said, “why should your anger burn against your people, whom you brought out of Egypt with great power and a mighty hand? 12 Why should the Egyptians say, ‘It was with evil intent that he brought them out, to kill them in the mountains and to wipe them off the face of the earth’? Turn from your fierce anger; relent and do not bring disaster on your people. 13 Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac and Israel, to whom you swore by your own self: ‘I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and I will give your descendants all this land I promised them, and it will be their inheritance forever.’” 14 Then the LORD relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened.

*Relent- change your thinking
*Moses argument is not very good but yet, he argues
*We may have gifts and talents but the skill component is the key
*We think HE MUST answer our prayer
*We have to present out case to God well


BUT...

Jesus is already arguing on your behalf
1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 

- 1 John 2:1 -

**Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path**

No comments:

Post a Comment